As the second Monday in October approaches it means one thing – Thanksgiving. Yes America, ours is in October and does not involve parades, football or door crasher sales. Back in Canadaland the leaves are changing, the turkeys are cooked and the families have gathered. While we can’t help you with escaping your eccentric aunt – we can help you with those turkey leftovers.
Straight from our Executive Sous Chef Rod Meadus – a Turkey Pot pie sure to be gobbled up.
TURKEY POT PIE
- 300 g cooked turkey, diced
- 340 g carrot, diced & blanched
- 114 g celery, diced & blanched
- 110 g peas, blanched
- 168 g butter
- 120 g flour
- 750 ml chicken stock
- 750 ml 10% cream
- 3 g salt
- 1 egg
- 15 ml 2% milk
- Add butter to large stainless steel sauce pan and melt over med-high heat.
- Add garlic & thyme and sauté lightly until fragrant.
- Add flour stirring until smooth paste.
- Cook out for 1 ½ mins stirring constantly.
- Slowly whisk in chicken stock, 10% cream cooking over med-high heat until thickened.
- Season to taste.
- Chill thoroughly & immediately.
- Preheat oven to 350’F.
- In each of the 6 serving dishes place – 56 g carrots, 19 g celery, 18.5 g peas & 50 g diced turkey.
- Cut slits in the top of the pastry.
- Brush egg wash over pastry.
- Bake for 30 mins or until golden.
- Allow to stand 5 mins before serving.
MAKES 6 PORTIONS