Extended March Break…
Reading that phrase from my children’s daycare and school may have induced a little bit of a panic attack. Three weeks without school?! How will I keep them busy? How will I keep myself sane? There’s not enough wine in the world…
Luckily for me (and you too), the lovely teachers at Kids at Blue Daycare have put together a list of kid-friendly, daycare approved, activities that you can create from the comfort of your own home using the ingredients that you find in your cupboards and fridge.
Take a look and don’t forget to share your successes online. You can tag us at @BlueMtnResort and we’ll share your parenting hacks on our stories while we all stay home together.
· 2 cups plain flour (all purpose)
· 2 tablespoons vegetable oil (baby oil and coconut oil work too)
· 1/2 cup salt
· 2 tablespoons cream of tartar
· 1 to 1.5 cups boiling water (adding in increments until it feels just right)
· gel food colouring (optional)
· few drops glycerine (the secret ingredient for stretch and shine!)
· Mix the flour, salt, cream of tartar and oil in a large mixing bowl
· Add food colouring to the boiling water then into the dry ingredients
· Stir continuously until it becomes a sticky, combined dough
· Add the glycerine (optional)
· Allow it to cool down then take it out of the bowl and knead it vigorously for a couple of minutes until all of the stickiness has gone. (This is the most important part of the process, so keep at it until it’s the perfect consistency!)
· If it remains a little sticky then add a touch more flour until just right
You can add any different textures, add toys to make fossils, or add essential oils or extracts for scents.
· Milk (Must be either Whole or 2%)
· Food Coloring. The more colors the better
· Dish Soap
· Shallow Dish or Bowl
- Pour some milk into a shallow dish or bowl until the milk covers the bottom. Tip: Be sure to use either Whole or 2% Milk
- Add some drops of food coloring on the milk. You can use a variety of colors, just be sure to add 3-4 drops of each color.
- Add a drop of dish soap into the center of the milk
- Watch in amazement as the colors dances across the surface of the milk
- You can add drops of soap in different location around the dish slowly to see what happens
Pasta/Rice Sensory bins
- Pasta or Rice
- Big container
- Scoops, toys, assorted containers to pour
Add contents to big container, let your child explore and have fun! Then, teach them about the satisfaction of clean up with dust pans, handheld vacuums or brooms. It’s the perfect excuse to clean your floors.